Today, I am 30! 30 years old! And I like to kick and stretch and kick! I’m 30!
I feel way better about this birthday than I have about a birthday in a really long time. Today, I started thinking about all the ways that I am great.
- I have a stable job with good benefits. Because of my new promotion, I am no longer embarrassed to tell people my job title.
- I am doing great in my accounting classes, and I am on track to be a CPA in around two years.
- I own an awesome house, and have paid off a quarter of its value.
- I don’t have any debt except a student loan and my mortgage.
- I am saving aggressively for retirement, even while paying for school.
- I have only ever had one cavity, and I floss regularly.
- I have written a whole novel.
- I am a good cook and a great baker.
- I eat and enjoy eating food I believe is really good for me (most of the time).
- I am still dancing, even though I am not that great at it, because it is fun, and both socially and emotionally fulfilling. And great exercise.
- I have a dog who is beyond cute, and who is devoted to me. And tonight I baked him homemade pumpkin treats.
- I graduated from a college I LOVE and that gave me an amazing experience of belonging to a community where I fit in.
- In am reasonably well read. I finished and understood Infinite Jest.
- I have made my long-term health a priority.
- I have wonderful friends where I live, who have stood by me for many years.
- I still feel close to my friends from college, even as we have scattered across the country.
- I am great at organizing my life, which makes me feel prepared for tomorrow.
- I have sung for a pope, at a presidential inauguration, at a campaign rally with President Bill Clinton, and in the National Cathedral.
- I got my car’s tires rotated for the first time EVER last weekend!
- I have NOT wasted an undue amount of time in my 20s in relationships that don’t make me happy.
- But I have watched some really great TV shows, which have made me very happy.
- I am a strong swimmer.
- I am amazing at budgeting and being frugal and making stuff last.
- I keep my yard tidy in the warm weather, even though I hate yard work. I love when people come up to men and tell me how much they love my house.
- I have not let bullies in my life defeat me.
Perhaps this is a little over the top, but hell. Happy birthday to me! I am determined that the 30s are going to be great.